- home -
- ISO 9001
Brick Company: What is ISO 9001?
ISO 9001 is an effective tool for increasing
productivity, improving communications, promoting teamwork, improving performance and
achieving quality goals for both service and manufacturing companies.
The ISO 9000 family of standards is a series of quality assurance standards published by the
Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 1987 to provide a common worldwide set
of quality system guidelines and requirements. More than 200 countries including
the U.S. have adopted the ISO 9000 family of standards as the National Quality Standard. The ISO 9000 family of standards is the
first consistent set of international standards available to evaluate a
company's ability to provide a quality product. The standard was modified in 1994, 2000, & 2008.
Why did we choose to pursue compliance with this standard? Many companies talk about their Quality Programs and most companies do have some form of quality control. We at Belden, however, wanted to
reach for the highest level of accomplishment, this being the realization of a
world recognized quality management system and the inherent strengths of this
What does this mean for our customers? This program took over two and a half years to accomplish and is an ongoing system.
The elements of the program investigate and measure every possible business activity including how the order is entered, the
manufacturing process, as well as testing,
packaging, shipping, etc. The ISO 9001 quality management system includes the following significant activities as performed by Belden Brick:
We also have in place procedures involving the ordering
of critical quality-related materials, the receipt of these materials and the
evaluation of these suppliers.
- A Quality Council that meets for the purpose of
determining and discussing quality levels and means for improvement.
- Formal organizational structure that includes a Quality Policy Manual, Standard
Operating Procedures and Work Instructions for all critical functions of the process.
- A Specification Book containing specific formulas for products.
- Formal training and communication meetings on a continuing basis.
- Formal procedure for order review to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Raw material mining practices that ensure early identification of requirements for
maintaining proper raw material usage.
- Record keeping that is complete to guarantee traceability of the product in terms of its reproducibility.
- Inventory system organized to ensure proper ID, correct shipments and control of
- Formal corrective/preventive action programs in which everyone can participate and that is reviewed by corporate management.
- Testing of materials conducted by outside labs as well as internally by company technicians.
- Process controls monitoring for critical areas of additive feed, texture and dimensions.
- Continuous finished product testing including:
- 24 Hour Cold Water Absorption
- 2 Hour Boil - Chemical Resistant Brick
- Sampling of brick packages to ensure quality of finished product.
- Formal customer complaint procedure.
- Formal internal audit procedure which verifies compliance with the program. This assures every level
of the quality system.
- Formal calibration program for critical equipment.
- Formal position on the environment relative to land reclamation, clean water and air emissions.
- A commitment to continually attempt to improve every facet of our business.
View our Quality Policy.